The best paid VPN services are those that offer the highest levels of security and are capable of throttling your internet speeds.
They are a cornerstone tool for keeping your online data secure and if configured correctly they can access nearly every geo-restricted site on the planet.
But which are the best paid VPN services you should try? Do they perform better than free VPN services? If so, how do you choose a paid VPN for your needs?
Read on to find out which are the top rated paid VPN services available today and learn how to pick a paid VPN service based on your use case.
Here’s the list of paid VPN that are worth the buck
- TunnelBear VPN
- Private Internet Access
What is a VPN?
To start things off, a VPN or a virtual private network is a tool that lets users browse the internet privately and in a safe manner. It offers layers of security and can connect you to the internet by relaying off multiple servers worldwide thereby hiding your physical location.
Due to this feature, a VPN will grant access to geo-restricted content and sites that are blocked by your ISP by connecting you to a server based in a different country where access to that site or webpage is not restricted.
However, not all VPN services are reliable and if you choose the wrong product then we can’t guarantee that your personal information will be protected online
What to Look for When Choosing a Paid VPN Service?
In order to get the highest level of protection and to be able to stay invisible online, you will need a paid VPN service.
Here are some things i’d recommend looking into before purchasing any VPN service online. Make sure the VPN service you select comes with all these features if you want to have a safe and secure browsing experience.
- The reason you’re buying a VPN service is so that you can browse the internet privately and the first thing you need to do is choose a VPN that does not log your movement online. Look for VPNs that have a no-log feature as these let you browse any webpage and it will not collect or monitor your internet activity.
- The next thing to look for in a VPN is the presence of high file encryption protocols. Typically all VPN services are secure to some extent, but premium VPN services like CyberGhost and ExpressVPN offer 256-bit encryption which is the highest level of security available today and is one of the most effective protocols to keep hackers away.
- You should also consider the rate of transmission and data caps if any when picking a VPN service. It’s pointless choosing a service that does not provide high speed connectivity and limits the data consumed to a few GB. Make sure the VPN offers high transmission speeds and there’s no data cap. Paid VPN services normally do not have data caps but some may not provide high speed connectivity, so it’s advisable to look into that before proceeding.
- Another thing to look for in a paid VPN is kill-switch protection. This feature will ensure that your online data is secure even if the current goes out or the internet / Wi-Fi reconnects. Without a kill-switch protection feature your online data will be accessible when the internet restarts and the VPN has not turned on.
- Look for a paid VPN service that can be used on numerous devices simultaneously. It’s good to choose a VPN that is available on various platforms because what’s better than being able to connect safely to the internet on all your devices with a single membership.
- Finally, look for VPN services that have a good customer service department. Since you’re going to be accessing the internet remotely, there are chances that you may need support while setting up the VPN effectively or in the event that there’s a blackout/loss of connectivity/VPN protocol issues.
What are the Best Paid VPN Services Available Today?
Now that you know what to look for when selecting a paid VPN service, it’s time for me to take you through some of the best paid VPN services i’ve used.
Now, mind you, all the services mentioned below will not be ideal for every use case out there.
So to help you understand what they can be used for, i’ll specify if the VPN is good for streaming, browsing, downloads or accessing geo-restricted sites like HBO Max and Paramount+.
We’ve rated NordVPN as the best paid VPN service to get this year because of how reliable and safe it is.
It’s by far the only premium VPN service to offer up to 6 simultaneous connections across devices and it uses bifurcated servers based in different locations and grants access to over 5400 servers worldwide.
NordVPN also supports DNS leak protection and 256-bit AES encryption so any browsing session will be protected from online attacks.
Also, the app is available across numerous platforms such as Android, iOS, Windows and Mac and it is equipped with an automatic server selection that locates the best possible server for any scenario and automatically connects to it.
You can either purchase a NordVPN subscription by visiting their official website or through the app by paying $2.99 every month.
NordVPN is ideal for Streaming and Online Gaming
CyberGhost is one of my personal favorites and is at the top of the list because it’s one of the most cost effective premium VPN services around.
Priced at $2.75 a month for the 3-year plan, CyberGhost delivers high speed connectivity and lets you surf the web unfiltered.
It comes with dedicated servers in over 90+ countries and is the perfect choice for those looking to stream content online without getting blocked or restricted.
Their service has a zero-log policy and it supports 256-bit encryption making it ideal for private browsing. It’s also one of the few VPN services available that supports nearly every device out there and can be used on up to 7 devices with a single sign on.
CyberGhost also delivers excellent streaming speeds and has been rated as one of the fastest VPN services in the market.
The best part is that there’s a 30-day money back guarantee, so if you’re unable to get the desired streaming speeds then you can opt for a refund and get the whole subscription cost sent back to your account.
Cyberghost is ideal for Accessing and Streaming Geo-Restricted Sites
Now there’s one popular VPN service that a lot of people are talking about and that’s ExpressVPN. This is one of the fastest and most reliable services and among the top three best paid VPN worldwide.
ExpressVPN is available for iOS, Android, Windows and Mac users and it can also be directly installed on your router so all devices that are connected to it will be protected with 256-bit encryption.
This service has a zero-log policy and it can be installed and run on up to 5 devices at a time. As an added bonus, subscribers are provided with a 30-day money back guarantee that’s similar to what CyberGhost is offering, so if you’re unhappy with ExpressVPN you can always cancel the subscription and get a refund if it’s within 30 days.
Apart from this, ExpressVPN is super fast and known for its ability to maintain streams in high definition with little to no buffering. The only drawback however is that it’s expensive and a single subscription will set you back around $12.95 for a monthly plan or $8.32 per month if you choose the one-year plan.
ExpressVPN is ideal for Streaming Content in High Speeds
Here’s another paid VPN service that has gradually gotten better and is not among the leading VPN service providers with no DNS or IP leaks.
TunnelBear uses AES-256 bit encryption and while it’s the cheapest VPN service available, it’s also one with the least number of online servers with just under 2,000 in 23 countries.
Services cost $3.33 per month for the unlimited plan and for businesses it goes up to $5.75 per member.
TunnelBear also supports multiple payment options including bitcoin and it can be downloaded on iOS, Android, Windows and Mac devices either by accessing the TunnelBear website or by downloading the app from the App store.
TunnelBear is ideal for Unblocking Filtered Sites and Steaming
PureVPN is among the best paid VPN services of 2022. It has about 300,000 IP addresses, about 2000 web servers in numerous countries around the world. PureVPN originated in Hong Kong and it costs $3.33 a month for one year, while a 5-year plan sets you back $1.65 a month.
Apart from being reasonably priced, PureVPN does not log information or links that are accessed and there’s a 31-day money back guarantee as well as refunds to bitcoin wallets are permitted.
Currently PureVPN supports up to 5 devices and offers split tunneling, has a 99.9% uptime and uses AES-256 bit encryption to keep your data secure.
PureVPN is ideal for Gaming online and Downloads
Best Paid VPN for Android and iOS
These are the best-paid VPNs for safeguarding your personal data on an Android device.
- Surfshark VPN – Surfshark VPN offers ad-blocking, antimalware, and tracker-blocking. It offers AES-256-GCM encryption and has camouflage settings that can mask any online tasks and ensure that your ISP won’t get to know that you’re connected to a VPN. It offers a 30-day trial and there’s a unique feature called No Borders that lets Surfshark work in any location.
- Private Internet Access – PIA or Private Internet Access is a super affordable VPN service that’s available on Android and iOS devices with strict protocols in place so that no one can hack or access your online activity. It has over 3200 servers worldwide and can unblock apps like HBO Max or Foxtel no matter where you are situated. The only drawback is that PIA does not deliver consistent browsing speeds and sometimes the network drops.
While there are many more VPN services available, the five i’ve mentioned are truly some of the most secure and reliable services available.
Not only do they keep you protected and invisible online, they also prevent hackers from getting access to your system and are perfect to stream online restricted content such as HBO Go, Paramount+ and Foxtel Now.